Recipe by PSU Lioness
I found this recipe in a book called "Great American Favorite Brand Name Cookbook" and I have not tried it yet, but I'm trying to get some stuff up here before I have to return the book. So if anyone tries it and has any comments, let me know. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 lb beef round steak, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped, undrained
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 1⁄4 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded jarlsberg cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 12 thick crackers, such as crispbreads
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef in hot oil in large, deep saucepan over medium-high heat. Add broth. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer one hour.
- Add beans, tomatoes, peppers, onion, large garlic clove, 3 tsp of the chili powder and the cumin. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Gradually blend in 1/2 cup of the cheese. Heat just until cheese melts.
- Blend butter, small garlic clove and remaining 1/4 tsp chili powder in small bowl. Spread on crispbreads; arrange on cookie sheet. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven several minutes or until butter is melted. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese. Bake just until cheese is melted.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Serve with crispbreads.