Recipe by English_Rose
This Goan dish can also be made with a combination of seafood, shredded chicken or beef. Time does not include marinating.
- 20 -32 raw jumbo shrimp, shell on (6-8 per person)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 5 -6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 cm piece ginger, scraped and finely sliced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, seeds removed, finely sliced
- 1⁄4 red pepper, seeds removed, finely sliced
- 1⁄4 yellow pepper, seeds removed, finely sliced
- 4 -5 scallions, finely sliced
- 1 -2 green chili pepper, seeds removed, finely sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the shrimp in a non-metallic bowl and add the turmeric, chili powder, a pinch of salt and the lemon juice. Cover and chill for no more than 2 hours.
- Heat the wok over a high heat. Add the oil and as it begins to smoke, add the cumin seeds, garlic and ginger. Stir until the garlic is lightly coloured, taking care not to let it brown.
- Add the marinated shrimp and, keeping the heat on high, cook for 4-5 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice so that all the shrimp touch the base of the pan. Take care not to agitate the pan too much, otherwise the shrimp will release too much liquid.
- Add the peppers, scallions and chili. Fry for a further minute or so.
- Once the shrimp are cooked through, add the cilantro. Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary, then serve hot with naan bread, rice or noodles.