Recipe by chia
this quick easy meal can be ready in under 30 minutes, courtesy of mark bittman
Top Review by doleful
This should have more reviews because it's really tasty. I used 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes and 1.5 lbs shrimp. It came out pretty spicy but I'm not complainin'. The sauce is delicious and full of flavor but before I added the shrimp I coated lightly with salt, pepper, and ground coriander for seasoning. I also added a touch more water to the sauce to stretch it out a bit and served over basmati rice. It was very good - thank you.
- 2 inches piece ginger, peeled
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly crushed
- 2 shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 small fresh chili peppers, seeded and stemmed (or dried red chili flakes to taste)
- 3 tablespoons corn oil or 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil or 3 tablespoons other neutral oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste or 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 lb peeled shrimp
Directions See How It's Made
- Mince ginger, garlic, shallots and chilies in food processor.
- Put oil in wok or large skillet and turn heat to medium-high; a minute later, add minced spices and cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomato paste, lime juice, nam pla, soy sauce, sugar and 2 tablespoons water. Add shrimp and coat with sauce. Cook just until sauce is bubbling and shrimp turns pink, about 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice or noodles.