Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I keep this chili in the refrig nearly all winter long. We actually eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Always a hit with friends and family. I tweeked this chili and used ideas from several different chili recipes to come up with one my family surrendared to as "their all around favorite"
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 (15 ounce) cans Italian stewed tomatoes (OR crushed or diced tomatoes)
- 4 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans (drained)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans (drained) or 2 (15 ounce) cans white kidney beans (drained)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas (drained)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans (drained)
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn (drained)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped- (seeds removed as desired, more seeds=more heat)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dried chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin (ground)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper or 2 teaspoons mccormicks hot shot pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste, I like about 3/4 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Brown ground beef - drain fat and rinse meat in colander with water if needed.
- Sauté both type peppers, garlic & onion until soft.
- Dump remaining ingredients in pot.
- Simmer for a several hours on low heat.
Wow! We have eaten a lot of chilis & we now have two favorites, one for turkey & this one for beef. Amazing flavor in this combination! It's got a little heat but that can all be controlled to suit individual tastes without sacrificing the overall enjoyment. The recipe looks like a lot of ingredients but it was actually very little work. Most of my time was spent draining cans. ;) We loved the wide variety of beans & the addition of corn in this recipe, but the best part had to be the sweet & sassy chipotle aroma that filled the house during the 3 hours I had it simmering on the stove. After the first bite, DS (15 yrs) claimed that it was his "all-time favorite" chili recipe. I made 1/2 the recipe for 3 of us & a toddler & that gave us plenty for dinner & another dinner and a lunch vacuum packed & frozen for later. This would be a perfect OAMC recipe. Next time I'll make a full recipe (using two dutch ovens) and we'll have awesome chili on hand for months! Thanks for sharing your recipe, Sharon! We'll be making it again & again! Made & enjoyed for Pick A Chef, Spring 2009.
Great recipe !! I've made it before but never rated it. This time I'm making it for a neighbor hood chili cook off. Make this recipe, you won't be disappointed !!!!
Oh, by far a great chili recipe. The Chipotle Seasoning and the Cocoa, add very unique flavors! And, what took us so long to add corn to chili? It is very easy to make and feeds a crowd. Great to serve when having friends over for cards or a perfect potluck dish. I take the left overs to work for my lunch. Very hearty and yummy! Thanks, Sharon!