Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
adapted from a recipe from Gail Duff’s ‘Book of Wholefood Cookery’
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained & rinsed well
- 1⁄4 green cabbage head, shredded
- 1 onion, sliced
- 450 g beef sausages, good ones (I used Heller's Old Fashioned English Beef sausages)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, ground
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons whole meal flour
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2⁄3 cup red wine
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Fry sausages with spices until cooked through, in non-stick pan. Sausages should be pretty much self-oiling ;).
- Layer sausage with onion and cabbage head in an oven dish (approx. 2 litres).
- Cook chili powder, tomato puree, sugar, garlic, and flour in what’s left of sausage for a minute or so, add a little oil if necessary to make a paste. Add salt & pepper.
- Add red wine & stock, bring to boil, lower & cook for about 5 minutes, stirring.
- Pour over dish.
- Cover dish with tinfoil, cook for approximately 1 hour.
- Enjoy with some of remaining red wine.