Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Easy to make, and a must have stuffed in the bun with dogs or burgers. Any left overs can be frozen. I freeze in half cup freezer-proof containers, just reheat in the microwave to serve with burgers and hot dogs, also wonderful on top of French fries, then topped with shredded cheddar cheese yum!! This chili sauce is even better if made a day or even days ahead of using. Also the recipe may be cut in half for a smaller amount. All ingredients may be adjusted to suit taste.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 (5 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 1⁄2 cups chili sauce
- 1⁄2 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder (or to taste, increase amount for a more spicy taste)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 drops Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- In a saucepan, sauté the onions and garlic until soft.
- Add in ground beef, and sauté until browned.
- Add in all remaining ingredients (except bread crumbs) and vinegar.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, boil for 5 minutes.
- Add in bread crumbs and vinegar; mix to combine.
- Simmer for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
husband wanted chili cheese dogs yesterday and I told him I didn't have a recipe - he said uh look at zaar - well lo and behold I find a 5 star recipe by none other than Kittencal and I knew it would be good! Made it exactly as your instructions read and it was delicious!!! thanks for sharing - loved it!
I just made this - followed the recipe so I'd have a bunch to freeze. I'm taking it camping with us this weekend. Can't wait to try it...it smells amazing!
We split the recipe into 3rds, but followed it exactly. I wouldn't change a thing. Thank you again for posting another wonderful Recipe Kittencal!