Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Use for hot dogs, nachos, baked potatoes, and much more! You may also substitute bacon grease for the oil.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 6 cups cold water
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion, dried
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder, granulated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- Brown the meat in a 4-qt dutch oven. When browned, pour off excess grease except for 2 Tablespoons.
- In a 2-qt mixing bowl, add water. Whisk in cornstarch until fully blended. Whisk in flour until fully blended. Whisk in tomato sauce until fully blended.
- Stir into the water mixture the chili powder, paprika, dried onion, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper and salt. Mix well.
- Add water mixture to meat in dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer 45-minutes. Stir well and scrape bottom of pot every 5-minutes to prevent burning. The chili will darken and thicken by the end of cooking.