Recipe by conniecooks
I have made this many times. I got the recipe from a lady 37 years ago. She has passed on but her recipe is alive & well. This is great at this time of year when all the vegetables are so fresh & plentiful. Nice to have all winter
- 6 quarts tomatoes, peeled & diced
- 6 cups of finely diced celery
- 4 cups onions, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup pickling salt
- 5 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 ounce mustard seeds
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Put Tomatoes, Celery, & Onions in large container or picklin Crock (do not use Metal).
- Sprinkle with Pickling Salt.
- Let stand overnight.
- Strain out as much liquid as possible.
- Place in large cooking Kettle.
- Add Granulated Sugar, cider vinegar, mustard seed and green pepper.
- Boil slowly uncovered for at least 20 minute.
- Stir frequently.
- Pour into sterilized mason jars and seal.