Top Review by monica
I would like to try this recipe but need a clarification...states to add all ingredients cook, put in bottles, then the directions continue...add to enamel pot> why are there two separate sugar entries in the ingredients? Please help
- 2 1⁄2 quarts tomatoes, chopped (about 8 pounds)
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups green peppers, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon clove
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- This will take a large kettle and you should use one that is fairly heavy so that the heat will be evenly conducted throughout with no hot spots.
- Tomatoes have a terrible tendency to "catch" and burn and if that happens, your entire batch can be spoiled.
- In the kettle combine all of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and then immediately reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sauce is thick enough for your taste. This will take from 1 to 3 hours depending on how much juice the tomatoes contained.
- Stir regularly and often while the sauce is cooking.
- When the sauce is thick enough, pour the hot chili sauce into prepared bottles and process in a boiling water bath canner.
- Chili sauce should be processed for 15 minutes.