Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a hearty one-skillet dish that should be served over cooked rice, don't omit the salsa and green chilies, they are what creates the "zest" to this dish! All amounts can be adjusted to taste, you can use all ground beef if desired or use 1 pound of each. The longer that you cook this dish the better and richer it will be, so don't be afraid to simmer it for a couple of hours over low heat, I suggest to make this a day ahead and refrigerate, the flavors will have time to blend and create a richer flavor. The tomato sauce is only optional add it in for a thinner sauce.
- 2 lbs Italian sausages, casings removed
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried oregano (or to taste)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained (or use kidney beans)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce (optional)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa (mild or spicy)
- 1⁄3 cup dry red wine (or to taste, or use white wine)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 3 -4 tablespoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- cooked rice
- grated cheddar cheese
- finely chopped onion
- In a a large skillet cook sausage meat, oregano, onions, garlic, green bell pepper and jalapeno peppers (if using) cook over medium heat breaking up the sausage meat with back of spoon; cook until the meat is no longer pink; drain the fat from the meat.
- Add in 2 tablespoons oil and continue to cook over medium heat until well browned, stirring occasionally (the oil will help brown the meat).
- Add in drained black beans, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce (if using) salsa, wine, chilies, chili powder and cumin; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 1-1/2 hours (the longer you cook the better this will be!).
- Adjust all seasonings to taste, then season with salt and pepper.
- Add in sugar (if needed, and only optional) to reduce the acitity of the tomatoes.
- Place the rice into the bowls then ladle the mixture over rice.
- Sprinkle with onions and cheddar cheese to taste.