Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Clipped from the local paper, this was adapted from "Fine Cooking Fresh" by the editors of Fine Cooking magazine. Leftovers, if any, can be used for fish tacos. This healthy but tasty entree is an excellent source of fiber with 12 grams per serving.
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 roma tomatoes, washed, diced
- 1 mango, ripe, seed removed, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and diced
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (fresh)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil, divided
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped (fresh)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried ancho chile powder (or favorite chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
- sea salt
- 16 ounces tilapia fillets (4 skinless fillets)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place a heat-proof platter on the middle rack of the oven.
- In a medium bowl, combine the beans, tomatoes, red onion, avocado, lime juice, 2 tablespoons canola oil, cilantro and black pepper; toss gently. Let the salsa sit at room temperature while you cook the fish.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/4 teaspoon black pepper with the chili powder, cumin, oregano and about 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste). Rub both sides of the tilapia fillets with the mixture.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons canola oil over medium-high heat until hot. Working in batches, cook two of the tilapia fillets until lightly browned and the flesh is opaque and cooked through, about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer the fish to the platter in the oven to keep warm while you cook the remaining two fillets. Transfer the fillets to the platter and spoon half of the salsa on top. Serve with the remaining salsa on the side.
- For fish tacos: Place the fish in warmed, soft flour tortillas. Top with finely shredded cabbage or lettuce and leftover salsa. A basic tartar sauce blends well with this fish, or you can mix chili powder with reduced-fat mayonnaise. Place a dollop on the fish.
Absolutely awesome. My family loved it and it was gone before I knew it. No leftovers = perfect!
Outstanding! Wish I had my camera ready bc this disappeared before I could say cheese! Made the salsa earlier in the day. When it was time to make supper it literally took minutes to prepare! Thanks for a definite keeper!