Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is one of those recipes that once you try it, it becomes one of your all-time favorites. I gave this recipe to a chef at one of the Hotel/Casinos that I worked at. He actually laughed at me. Then one day, he approached me and told me that he'd tried it, and that it was one of the very best recipes that he's ever tried. So,ya never know! You may laugh too, at a couple of the ingredients. Just close your eyes and make it. You just may be in for a big SURPRISE!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons good quality chili powder, divided (I use Gebhardt's)
- 1 (4 lb) boneless pork roast
- 1 cup apple jelly
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In small bowl, combine salt, garlic salt, and 1/2 teaspoons chili powder.
- Rub roast all over with mixture.
- Place roast fat side up, on a rack in shallow roasting pan.
- Roast uncovered, approximately 2 hours.
- While meat is cooking, combine the rest of ingredients in a med. saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 2 minute.
- About 15 minute before the roast is done, baste meat with jelly mixture.
- When roast is done, remove from oven and let stand for 10 minute before carving.
- Mix 1/2 cup pan drippings(or whatever you have up to 1/2 cup), with remaining jelly mixture.
- Reheat if necessary.
Every once in awhile, we are fortunate to stumble on a showstopper dinner. Fluffster, this roast was awesome, and truely stopped the show. Simple to make with guest quality results. We followed the recipe to the letter, and will not change a thing the next dozen or two times we make this. Thank you so much for posting.
Deeeelicious Fluffster! I seasoned the pork roast using seasoned salt and coarse black pepper, I also stuffed fresh garlic cloves in the roast, the drippings from the roast mixed with the glaze ingredients was so very good, thank you for another great recipe my family really enjoyed!