Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Chili Rub Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- 3 lbs boneless pork shoulder or 3 lbs sirloin roast
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon other neutral-flavored oil
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- Line a 9- by 13-inch baking pan with foil and place the pork in the pan. In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, salt, and cayenne. Rub the mixture over all sides of the meat, pressing it to adhere (if the meat is tied together with twine or netting, just rub the seasoning right over it). Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the pork and brown on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the meat to a slow cooker.
- Add the broth to the skillet, scraping up any browned bits. Add the broth to the slow cooker, cover, and cook until the pork is very tender, 6 to 8 hours on low or 4 to 5 hours on high.
- Transfer the meat to a cutting board and let rest 10 to 15 minutes. Use two forks to shred meat into bite-sized pieces. Moisten/season with cooking juices to taste.
- Serving Suggestions:This recipe is only mildly spiced, so if you like things with a kick, try adding more cayenne to the rub or add some of your favorite hot sauce to the finished, shredded meat. Use the pork to make a traditional pulled pork sandwich, with barbecue sauce and slaw, or enjoy it in your favorite chili recipe or on top of a Tex Mex Caesar salad.
- Nutrition per serving: Calories: 240; Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 90mg; Sodium: 540mg; Carbohydrate: 1g; Protein: 32g; Fiber: 1g.