Recipe by internetnut
Cook this rice on your next families camping trip. I found this recipe in Family Circle magazine. I have not tried this recipe, but I'm posting it for safe keeping.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 cup chopped plum tomato
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef or 3⁄4 lb ground turkey
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup rinsed and drained kidney bean
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallions, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a medium-size stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, peppers and jalapeno and cook for about 10 minutes or until translucent.
- Add tomatoes, garlic and beef or turkey to pot and cook for 8 minutes or until meat is cooked through; drain off any fat.
- Stir rice into pot and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add broth, beans, chili powder, salt, pepper, paprika and 1 1/2 cups water to pot. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium; cover and cook for 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork and sprinkle with scallions before serving.