Lynda Of Virginia's Note:
This is very good and much easier than stuffing the cheese into the chiles, but with pretty much the same flavor of the traditional method. If you don't care for hot food, you could use plain Monterey jack cheese instead of the pepper-jack. I use roasted Hatch Peppers (mild), when available (late Aug-Sept here in NoVa). Easily adaptable to a veggie main dish by leaving out the chicken. It is 9 servings but my family of 5 polished it off. Even the 1 who NEVER takes 2nds went back for a bit more!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease an 8x8" baking pan.
- 2Slice each chile along one long side and open flat.
- 3Arrange half of the chiles in the bottom of the baking pan, skin side down, in a single layer.
- 4Top with the pepper-jack cheese.
- 5Top with shredded chicken.
- 6Arrange the remaining chiles over the cheese, skin side up.
- 7Beat the eggs, cream and salt well.
- 8Pour evenly over the chiles.
- 9Top with the cheddar cheese.
- 10Bake at 350º for 35 minutes, until golden brown.
- 11Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili Relleno Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 254.9
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 124.8 mg
- Sodium 377.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: