1/1 Photo of Chili Relleno Casserole
Several friends and I were joking about "'70's Food" earlier today, which made me a little nostalgic. Here's one of my old (OLD) stand-by favorites from that era. Alas, no "Cream-of-Anything" soup included, nor aspic'ed mystery substances, and not a fondue pot in sight. Nothing authentically culturally correct...just simple, good ol' '70's fare. Nothing fancy. *Dead easy* to make. It's simply 'got a good beat, and I can dance to it.'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (7 ounce) can whole green chilies, drained (or 2 cans CHOPPED green chilies)
- 4 cups grated mixed cheeses (sharp Cheddar, Jack, Asiago, Pepper-Jack, Parm, WHATEVER)
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves (chopped-believe Brits call it "coriander leaves?")
- 1 large roma tomato, seeded, juiced, chopped
- 1 onion, diced (sweet, Saute' if you have time)
- 4 eggs, separated, yolks in a small bowl, whites in a large bowl
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup flour (or corn masa flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 (8 -10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 9 x 9 casserole dish with non-stick vegetable spray (Pam) - especially the SIDES and top edges. If using whole chilies, split them open. Either way, cover the bottom of the dish with chilies.
- 2In a bowl, toss together the grated cheeses, tomato, olives, onions, and 3/4 of the cilantro. Place in the casserole dish, over the chilies. Drizzle about 1/3 of the can of enchilada sauce over this.
- 3Separate eggs yolks from whites. Beat the egg whites until very frothy, but.
- 4not too stiff and meringue-like. In a separate bowl, combine yolks, milk, flour, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Fold egg whites into the yolk mixture, and pour this combination onto the casserole.
- 5Drizzle with remaining enchilada sauce. Bake 20 minutes. Top with Parmesan. Bake another 15-20 minutes, until top is golden-brown-and-delicious. Cool for 10+ minutes before serving. Top with dollops of sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili Relleno Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.0
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 150.3 mg
- Sodium 572.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 8.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: