Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Ohio Centennial Cookbook
- 12 ounces canned whole green chilies
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 8 ounces lowfat monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- Spray 1.5-qt cassrole. Remove seeds from peppers. Rinse and drain on paper towels.
- Beat together milk, egg whites and flour until smooth. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine cheeses. Reserve 1/2 cup for topping.
- To assemble: layer half each of the peppers, cheeses and egg mixture. Repeat these layers. Pour tomato sauce over top.
- Bake 30 minutes. Sprinkle with reserved cheese and bake about 20 minutes more or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
This was absolutely delicious!!! I made two casseroles. One with ground beef for the husband, and one without for whoever prefered it.Since I have such a large family (8), I usually have to double most recipes and make two casserole dishes at a time. My 3yr old gobbled it down, repeatedly saying "I like your cook mom". I love making the family happy with new recipes. Already added this to my at home cookbook, as well as my food.com cookbook. Thank you for posting this recipe!!!!
Very yummy! I made as posted, but used regular cheddar. The family really enjoyed this one!
This is wonderful and easy to make! I made this using 4 whole eggs instead of the whites only, but otherwise stuck to the recipe. I loved all that cheese. Thanx for posting.