Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe came from a Casserole Cookbook I got from the Cookbook Swap.
Make and share this Chili Relleno Bake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (4 ounce) cans whole green chilies, drained and seeded
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, crumble together the beef and sausage. Cook over medium heat, stirring until meat is browned. Add onion and garlic, cook until onion is soft. Drain.
- Line a 9 x 9 x 2 inch greased baking dish with half of the chilies, top with 1 1/2 cups of the cheese.
- Add the meat mixture and top with remaining chilies, set aside.
- Beat together eggs and flour until smooth, add milk, salt and hot pepper sauce. Blend well.
- Pour egg mixture over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until knife inserted off center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese on top.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Made as directed, except I used all pork sausage and chopped green chilies, rather than whole. This was a winner with the house. Loved the addition of the meat, onions, and garlic to the "chile relleno". Will definitely make again.