Recipe by Rita~
Rub on ribs, re-fried beans, taco sauces, or use chili con carne or stews, this chili powder recipe provides smoky flavor and aroma. Freshly ground dried whole peppers, spices and herbs.I used a mix of home grown and dried chilis. But do use your choice of large peppers like the Ancho chili’s are just the name used for smoked, dried poblano peppers, the pasilla, and the New Mexican chilis. Then mis with smaller peppers like dried cayenne peppers, chiltepins, habanero, piquins and chipotle peppers are smoke dried red jalapenos, and add a smokey complexity to this blend. The actual level of heat and quantity will vary from batch to batch because of differences in the peppers.
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
Adored this! Made with my own dried habaneros' and poblano's. I followed this exactly, and it was even more wonderful because the taste, fantastic! The ease of putting together - unbelievable, had everything on hand, and this took really no time to prepare. Mine was smoky, favorable, and excellent on ribs. I am ready to use it all summer long now! Made for *Paprika Spice Month* French Forum March 2010
- 141.74 g chili peppers (I used a mix of Ancho chili's are just the name used for smoked, dried poblano peppers, Chipotle pep)
- 28.34 g cumin seed
- 28.34 g garlic flakes
- 14.17 g dried oregano
- 14.17 g dried onion flakes
- 28.34 g smoked paprika
- 4.92 ml salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Use a damp paper towel to wipe the surface of each dried chili clean. Place on a baking sheet and toast in a 200 degree oven until the chilies are completely crisp and fragrant.
- Toast the cumin seed until fragrant, but be careful not to burn them.
- Remove the seeds from the chilies, then add them along with everything else to a blender, spice mill, coffee grinder, the dry blade of your vita mix, small food processor or spice grinder. Blitz until the spice mixture is a fine powder. You may have to do in batches. Protect your eyes and lungs by avoiding the dust.
- Use this chili powder recipe immediately for best flavor, or store in a small, air tight sealed glass container.