Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
The is adapted from Alton Brown's recipe.
Make and share this Chili Powder recipe from Food.com.
- 3 ancho chilies, stemmed, seeded, and cut into strips
- 3 guajillo chilies, stemmed, seeded, and cut into strips
- 3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded, and cut into strips
- 29.58 ml whole cumin seeds
- 29.58 ml garlic powder
- 14.79 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml smoked paprika
- Add the chiles and cumin to a cast iron skillet and toast over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until you begin to smell the cumin toasting, about 4-5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, place the chile/cumin mixture a blender.
- Add garlic powder, oregano, and paprika.
- Blend into a fine powder.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.