Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
The is adapted from Alton Brown's recipe.
- 3 ancho chilies, stemmed, seeded, and cut into strips
- 3 guajillo chilies, stemmed, seeded, and cut into strips
- 3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded, and cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Add the chiles and cumin to a cast iron skillet and toast over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until you begin to smell the cumin toasting, about 4-5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, place the chile/cumin mixture a blender.
- Add garlic powder, oregano, and paprika.
- Blend into a fine powder.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.