2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 45 mins
Dollar store cookbook BUT million dollar taste! If you don't feel like making the chili (But you should) try the crust and the technique with just the crust.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless beef chuck, in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomato puree
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped mild green chilies
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaf
- 2 teaspoons milk
- green onion, for topping and garnish
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1In dutch oven heat 1 TBS oil over med high heat til hot.
- 2Add half the beef and cook til browned and juices evaporate.
- 3Transfer to small bowl.
- 4Repeat with remaining beef and 2 tsp oil.
- 5Add remaining tsp oil and reduce heat to medium.
- 6Add oniona dn cook 10 minutes til golden.
- 7Add garlic and cook and stir 2 minutes.
- 8Add chili powder, coriander, 1/2 tsp salt and cumin.
- 9Cook and stir 1 minute.
- 10Add tomatoes, breaking up with spoon.
- 11Add chilies and juice, brown sugar, paste beef and any juices in bowl along with water.
- 12Heat to boiling over high heat.
- 13Reduce to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 14Rinse and drain beans.
- 15Add to pot and heat to boiling.
- 16Reduce to low, cover and simmer 30-45 minutes longer until beef is really tender.
- 17Stir in cilantro.
- 18Preheat oven to 425.
- 19Spoon hot chili mixture into deep 2 quart casserole or 9 inch deep pie pan.
- 20Make Crust, in medium bowl mix flour, cheese, cornmeal, baking powder and 1/2 salt.
- 21With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until it is coarse crumbs.
- 22Stir in 1/2 cup milk, quickly mixing just until soft dough forms and leaves side of bowl.
- 23Turn dough unto floured surface.
- 24Gently knead about 5 strokes to mix.
- 25Roll out into round 1inch larger than top of casserole.
- 26Top chili mixture in casserole with crust, tucking in edges to fit.
- 27With knife, cut out 5 ovals, do not just slit crust as it will close up during baking.
- 28Brush with 2 tsp milk.
- 29Place sheet of foil underneath and crimp to catch drips.
- 30Bake 20 minutes or until crust is browned.
- 31Cook slightly.
- 32Garnish with sliced green onions.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili Pot Pie With Cheddar Biscuit Crust
Serving Size: 1 (354 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 521.3
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 104.5 mg
- Sodium 1175.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 36.5 g