Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Dollar store cookbook BUT million dollar taste! If you don't feel like making the chili (But you should) try the crust and the technique with just the crust.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless beef chuck, in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (16 ounce) canwhole tomato puree
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped mild green chilies
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro leaf
- 2 teaspoons milk
- green onion, for topping and garnish
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- In dutch oven heat 1 TBS oil over med high heat til hot.
- Add half the beef and cook til browned and juices evaporate.
- Transfer to small bowl.
- Repeat with remaining beef and 2 tsp oil.
- Add remaining tsp oil and reduce heat to medium.
- Add oniona dn cook 10 minutes til golden.
- Add garlic and cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Add chili powder, coriander, 1/2 tsp salt and cumin.
- Cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, breaking up with spoon.
- Add chilies and juice, brown sugar, paste beef and any juices in bowl along with water.
- Heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Rinse and drain beans.
- Add to pot and heat to boiling.
- Reduce to low, cover and simmer 30-45 minutes longer until beef is really tender.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Spoon hot chili mixture into deep 2 quart casserole or 9 inch deep pie pan.
- Make Crust, in medium bowl mix flour, cheese, cornmeal, baking powder and 1/2 salt.
- With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until it is coarse crumbs.
- Stir in 1/2 cup milk, quickly mixing just until soft dough forms and leaves side of bowl.
- Turn dough unto floured surface.
- Gently knead about 5 strokes to mix.
- Roll out into round 1inch larger than top of casserole.
- Top chili mixture in casserole with crust, tucking in edges to fit.
- With knife, cut out 5 ovals, do not just slit crust as it will close up during baking.
- Brush with 2 tsp milk.
- Place sheet of foil underneath and crimp to catch drips.
- Bake 20 minutes or until crust is browned.
- Cook slightly.
- Garnish with sliced green onions.