Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A tasty version of huevos rancheros and easily tweaked for heat.
- 4 -6 green chili peppers, chopped (your choice of heat)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 -2 fresh tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups beef or 2 cups chicken stock
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 8 eggs
- Combine and simmer all ingredients except eggs and tortillas in a frying pan. Cook until onions and peppers are tender and sauce has thickened.
- Warm tortillas and 4 plates, keep warm.
- Break an egg in small bowl, stir small circle in sauce and slip the egg in this spot. Repeat with remainder of eggs.
- Place egg on each tortilla and cover with sauce.
- Variations include cheese as a garnish, 1/2lb of cooked chorizo, or sliced avocado as a garnish.