1/2 Photos of Chili, Plain and Simple but Darn Good
2 hrs 15 mins
This is plain and simple but makes a wonderful chili, you may add in other ingredients if desired, my family likes this topped with cheddar cheese and sour cream then served with Kittencal's Parmesan Garlic Bread or Garlic Toast --- I strongly suggest to make this 1-3 days ahead the flavors will intensify and ripen, you will really notice a difference in flavor if made ahead --- all amounts may be adjusted to taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 large garlic cloves, coarsley chopped (do not mince the garlic)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (adjust to taste) (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt or 2 teaspoons white salt, to taste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, with juice
- 1In a large pot brown the ground beef with onion and green bell pepper until no longer pink; drain all fat.
- 2Add in garlic, oregano and chili flakes; cook stirring until browned (about 12-15 minutes, for the best flavor the meat must be slightly browned).Add in chili powder and cumin; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- 3Add in stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasoned salt; bring to a boil over medium heat stirring.
- 4Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for 1-1/2 hours stirring occasionally.
- 5Stir in the beans with their liquid and continue to cook for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili, Plain and Simple but Darn Good
Serving Size: 1 (543 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.4
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 73.7 mg
- Sodium 883.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.5 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 35.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: