Recipe by Miss Annie
This is a good dish to prepare for a cool evening. Some people add a small can of mushrooms, but I like it without. I never heard of mushrooms in a chili pie before.
Top Review by Young Living in Texas
The weather turned cool here in Texas, so I had to try this. Added chopped green chilies and 1 tsp of Cumin. The sodium was reduced a tad by using no salt added tomatoe sauce.I layered it in a 9x13 baking dish. A great dish. Thank you.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 cans kidney beans, drained (or black beans or pinto beans)
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 (12 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package Fritos corn chips
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Brown meat and onion in Canola oil.
- Add tomato sauce, chili powder, brown sugar, garlic powder, and water.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Place a layer of meat mixture in bottom of prepared casserole dish.
- Add a layer of beans, then a layer of Fritos and then a layer of cheese.
- Repeat layers, except do not add cheese.
- Leave last layer of cheese to top baked casserole.
- Bake casserole 35 minutes.
- Top with cheese& continue baking until cheese is melted& bubbly, about 10-15 minutes.