Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a home made version of the condiment you can buy in Chinese groceries.
Make and share this Chili Paste With Garlic recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup dried chili, fine chop (or use chili flakes - the kind you sprinkle on pizza)
- 8 -10 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup szechwan pepper
- Combine chilies, sesame seeds, garlic& water.
- Heat oil in small saucepan.
- Test oil by dropping in a few Szechwan peppercorns.
- (It should sizzle but not burn).
- Pour hot oil over chili mixture.
- Cool& strain off the oil.
It thought this was good with a few changes. First I used dried chile de arbol peppers (about 20), added 1 T. sesame oil, 3 T. oil (not 1 cup), 2 T. Vinegar, and blended together until smooth. I could not find the szechwan pepper, which I plan on looking for it the next time we go to the local chinese store.
i love this. it's exactly how i make it - a chinese friend taught me. thanks for posting the recipe tgobbi.
please clarify this recipe, when you say sesame seeds, is that a misprint? I have the pepper, took me ages to find , and I want to use it!!!! and can I use fresh chilli? or can I dry my own?