Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
My kids love this omelet.
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili with beans or 2 cups homemade chili
- 1 (8 ounce) package3-cheese shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- sour cream (optional)
- Heat chili about 5 minutes. For an extra-cheesy omelet, stir in a handful or 2 of the cheese.
- While this is cooking, heat an 8-inch skillet over medium-low heat and melt the butter.
- Beat the eggs and pour into the pan. Cook until the egg forms a solid yellow circle.
- Cover half of the omelet with the chili mixture, reserving 1/4 cup.
- Add a layer of cheese, reserving 1/4 cup.
- Fold the omelet and top with the remaining chili and cheese.
- Slide the omelet onto a plate and garnish with a large dollop of sour cream, if desired.
What a great idea! We love chili and enjoyed this for breakfast this morning. However, the ingredient amounts seemed pretty far off to me - too much chili & cheese for not enough eggs. I made a 4-egg omelet in a 10" pan and still couldn't reasonably use up all the chili & cheese. The inside was as full as I could get it, and I smothered the outside with more chili & cheese when I served it up - and we still had a spoonful of chili and about a third of the cheese left over. So I think the amount of chili & cheese might work better for 2 3-egg omelets or a similar amount of eggs.
This made a great and hearty omelet! I used a little less chili than called for and included the optional sour cream. Had this as "breakfast for dinner" and we all enjoyed it - thanks for sharing!
Nichol, we loved this! plus it's so simple that hubby was able to make it for us for a quick dinner. he doesn't have much patience in the kitchen and I've got a broken elbow, so this recipe saved the day. thanks for posting. made for bevy tag, please see my rating system.