Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another yummy grown-up mac'n'cheese variation. Fairly mild tasting, which makes it a great side-dish.
- 8 ounces noodles (medium or broad)
- 2 1⁄2 quarts boiling water
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon margarine, cut up
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- paprika, sprinkle
- In a large uncovered saucepan, cook noodles in boiling water, oil and salt until tender but firm, about 5-7 minutes. Drain and return noodles to pot.
- Add chili powder, first amount of margarine and cheese. Stir until margarine melts.
- Pour into greased 1 quart casserole dish.
- Melt remaining margarine in small saucepan. Mix in flour and second amount of salt.
- Stir in milk until sauce boils and thickens. (Sauce will be fairly thin) Pour over noodles.
- Sprinkle with paprika and bake uncovered at 350F for 40 minutes.
- *Note: Served as is, noodles will have a light coloured topping; when stirred, dish will become darker.