Recipe by basia1
The first time I made this everyone was skeptical, but it was loved by all. The bulgar adds a really nice dimension, and the meat is not missed at all. I serve this with thick slices of french bread. Cooking time includes a lot of time where you don't have to do anything, just let it sit. Adapted from Healthy Cooking for Two.
Top Review by DebS #2
Very good healthy choice! I did have to add extra liquid - 1 small can of tomato sauce and and equal amount of water. I added hot sauce to my taste. I used black beans instead of pinto beans because that's what I had on hand. I will definately make this again!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (See Note)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 16 ounces canned tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups water
- 12 ounces canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄3 cup Bulgar wheat
Directions See How It's Made
- (Note: I like things spicy, so I omit the chili powder complete, and instead use chili flakes. Really great taste.) Place the oil in a heavy 3-quart saucepan.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots and peppers.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender but not brown.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder (or flakes) and cumin; cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes with juice and water, bring chili to a simmer.
- Cover the pan, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Add the beans and bulgar.
- Cook for 30 minutes, or until the bulgur is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve hot.