Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I have been making this recipe since my broke-as-a-joke college days, and it never lets me down. Don't remember anymore where I got it, but it's totally easy, cheap, and delicious, just the way I like a recipe to be. The ingredients are pretty flexible - you could sub out the beans, add things (sometimes I add a can of corn), serve it over rice (or as my family prefers - with a peanut butter sandwich), switch up the tomatoes for a different consistency, etc. The olives are a crucial ingredient for getting the flavor right, though, so I wouldn't mess with that. Even self-professed olive haters (like my husband) will LOVE the flavor and never in a million years guess that there's a single olive bit creeping around. You could probably make this in a slow cooker, too, if you won't be around all day/evening to keep an eye on the stove. This is just a wonderful, thick, veggie chili that is chock-full of flavor & veggies and stands up well to corn chips. I have served it to jocks & punks & gamers & emo kids alike, and it's always a real crowd-pleaser.
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Saute the onion and pepper until until begin to become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer over very low heat for 3-5 hours.
- Enjoy with your favorite accompaniment! ex. rice, crackers, corn chips, peanut butter sandwich, elbow macaroni, etc.