3 hrs 20 mins
I have been making this recipe since my broke-as-a-joke college days, and it never lets me down. Don't remember anymore where I got it, but it's totally easy, cheap, and delicious, just the way I like a recipe to be. The ingredients are pretty flexible - you could sub out the beans, add things (sometimes I add a can of corn), serve it over rice (or as my family prefers - with a peanut butter sandwich), switch up the tomatoes for a different consistency, etc. The olives are a crucial ingredient for getting the flavor right, though, so I wouldn't mess with that. Even self-professed olive haters (like my husband) will LOVE the flavor and never in a million years guess that there's a single olive bit creeping around. You could probably make this in a slow cooker, too, if you won't be around all day/evening to keep an eye on the stove. This is just a wonderful, thick, veggie chili that is chock-full of flavor & veggies and stands up well to corn chips. I have served it to jocks & punks & gamers & emo kids alike, and it's always a real crowd-pleaser.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 lb mushroom, sliced about 1/4 '' thick
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (6 ounce) can chopped olives
- 2 (28 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 -1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 dash cayenne
- black pepper
- 1In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- 2Saute the onion and pepper until until begin to become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes.
- 4Add the remaining ingredients and simmer over very low heat for 3-5 hours.
- 5Enjoy with your favorite accompaniment! ex. rice, crackers, corn chips, peanut butter sandwich, elbow macaroni, etc.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili No-Meat, Cheap & Easy
Serving Size: 1 (388 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 372.4
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1348.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.7 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 16.8 g