Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is a great recipe to make ahead and store in Ziploc freezer bags! My whole family loves this. You can easily change it up to suit your tastes-- different veggies, different meat, change up the spices....good every way! The following recipe will make you a big 3 meal batch. Freeze all 3, or eat one portion tonight!
- 20 ounces skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 18 ounces macaroni noodles, uncooked
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 3 cups chopped bell peppers, any variety
- 6 (15 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 3 (6 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 12 ounces monterey jack cheese or 12 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 cup salsa
- Advance preparation: Cook and shred chicken breasts. Cook noodles until just tender, do not overcook or they will be mushy in final dish. Rinse in cold water. If storing noodles overnight, put in a pan of cold water in fridge. Chop peppers and onions.
- Heat broth.
- Add peppers and onion, cook till slightly softened.
- Add garlic, chili powder, and oregano. Stir constantly for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn heat to low.
- Pour in undrained stewed chopped tomatoes, corn, beans, macaroni, chicken, salsa and cheese. Reserve 3/4 cup cheese for topping the dish.
- Package 1/4 cup shredded cheese in each of 3 small freezer bags, label.
- Package 1/3 of prepared food into each of 3 large gallon freezer bags, label.
- Attatch cheese bag to meal bag.
- Day before serving: Pull meal from freezer and transfer to refridgerator to thaw.
- Serving day: Pour meal into a 13x9 casserole, top with cheese, and bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until hot. Alternatively, pour meal into skillet, heat, top with cheese, and serve.
- You can use any variety of small noodle you have available. Try rotini, penne, farfalle, etc.
- Good additions/substitutions are green chilies, black beans, extra chili powder, red pepper flakes, or cayenne.