Recipe by Sandy in Perth
This is so yummy - hot summer's day, sitting by the pool, cold glass of white wine, clear blue sky...bliss!
Top Review by yummofood-o
This is an absolutely delicious dish! Being a Freo gal myself now living overseas, I have always been looking out for the perfect chili mussel recipe. I need look no more! This recipe is authentic with the perfect amount of spice to tomato ratio. A suggestion - serve with lightly toasted baguette slices that have their sides rubbed with a garlic clove. Yummo!
- 2 kg fresh mussels
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine (or water)
- fresh parsley
- 500 g ripe good-tasting tomatoes, skinned (Roma or Plum)
- 15 g butter or 15 g margarine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 2 chilies, chopped (or a good teaspoon of bottled chopped chilli)
Directions See How It's Made
- SAUCE: Chop the tomatoes.
- Heat the butter/margarine and olive oil in a saucepan and fry the diced onions, chopped garlic and chillies until the onion is transparent, taking care not to let the garlic colour (it will taste bitter otherwise).
- Add the paprika, basil and tomato paste and stir.
- At this point, a little dry white wine (or water) may be added to loosen the sauce and then add the tomatoes, with a pinch of sugar.
- Simmer for 40 minutes and then season with salt and pepper.
- Clean the mussels and debeard (pull the hair away from the mussel).
- Place the mussels and dry white wine (or water) in a pot over a high heat.
- Cover with a firm lid to create steam from the liquid.
- Steam the mussels and once they are fully open, strain all the liquid from the pot.
- Discard any that haven't opened.
- Add the chilli tomato sauce to the mussels and stir gently to coat all the mussels with the sauce.
- Squeeze over half a lemon and garnish the dish with quartered lemons and chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately, with lots of crusty bread to mop up the juices.