Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Quick and easy to make yet SO packed with flavor! Serve with buttery mashed potatoes and crisp green beans.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 sweet red peppers or 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup drained red kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, beat egg with a fork.
- Add bread crumbs, salt and pepper.
- Gently mix in ground beef.
- Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil on medium-high heat.
- Add onion; cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add sweet pepper and chili powder.
- Cook for another 4 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and then add to beef mixture.
- Add kidney beans and salsa.
- Pack into an 8 by 4 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated 350F (180C) degree oven for 60-75 minutes.
- Drain off fat.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of meatloaf and return to oven for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Oh, this is a good meatloaf!! Easy to make. Moist and very flavorful. Was great for sandwiches the next day. A definite keeper. Thanks, M&Mers!
WOW, meat loaf packed with flavour!! Very good M&Mers!! This is one of the better meat loaves we've tried and even better the next day! Made the meatloaf just as stated, just added one thing, 2 smashed cloves of garlic. Used my own homemade salsa inside and added some on top before I added the cheese. I'm making it again tonight, after dark when it's cooler and will have it cold in the fridge for a couple of cool suppers on these hot days. Thanks for sharing a keeper!!
This is fantastic. I didn't want whole kidney beans so I processed them to add the flavor but not the texture. It was great!! Thanks for a great recipe.