Recipe by JenniferK2
I combined two favorites of mine to make my family's ultimate comfort food! I took this to a pot luck and got rave reviews. I have even made it with cut up hot dogs for chili dog casserole. **Extra note based on reviews: This is not meant to be a spicy dish, if you like your chili hot you might want to use the hot chili seasoning packet, or else use two of the regular ones. You could also add a bit of hot sauce. My family does not eat spicy (hot spicy) food, so this dish is suited to our tastes, if you like extra kick, adjust it to suit yours!
Top Review by SweetsLady
Wonderful recipe! I did a half recipe with no kidney beans but kept in the 4 oz pasta (we used whole grain) and used my own chili mix. It was just right in spice! Thanks, JenniferK2!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 16 ounces kidney beans
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelopemccormick chili seasoning mix (if you like it spicy, use two or use the hot one)
- 4 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef and drain fat.
- Add kidney beans, tomato sauce and chili seasoning; mix well.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil macaroni according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour, mustard and paprika. Slowly add milk, stirring until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture boils, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute, continuing to stir.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until completely melted. Fold in drained macaroni.
- Add macaroni and cheese mixture to chili and mix well; pour into 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.