Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
Another chili mac recipe - this one is from Cooking Light's Best of 10 Years. It was an instant hit with everyone in my family.
Top Review by LonghornMama
I was so glad to see this posted here! I believe this recipe was originally published in Cooking Light in an article on healthier school cafeteria food, which grabbed ny attention since if it's kid-friendly, it's probably DH friendly. Quick and easy, and a favorite with us. Add some cornbread and a green salad and dinner is done! The original recipe called for no-salt added tomatoes, corn, tomato paste, tomato sauce, as well as ground round and reduced-fat sharp cheddar. With those changes, this dish is even healthier than shown on the nutrition facts to the left: 7.2 g fat and 420 mg sodium. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 118.29 ml chopped green pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 473.18 ml cooked elbow macaroni
- 118.29 ml water
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 432.33 g can kidney beans
- 411.06 g can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 248.05 g can corn, drained (I used frozen)
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 236.59 ml shredded cheddar cheese or 236.59 ml low-fat cheddar cheese or 236.59 ml monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook first 4 ingredients in a dutch oven over medium high heat till meat is browned, stirring until meat crumbles.
- Drain well and wipe drippings from pan with a paper towel (if your beef is lean enough, you won't really need to do this).
- Return beef to dutch oven; add macaroni and next 10 ingredients.
- stir well.
- Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon into individual serving bowls.
- Sprinkle 2 T cheese over each serving.