Another chili mac recipe - this one is from Cooking Light's Best of 10 Years. It was an instant hit with everyone in my family.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can corn, drained (I used frozen)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- Cook first 4 ingredients in a dutch oven over medium high heat till meat is browned, stirring until meat crumbles.
- Drain well and wipe drippings from pan with a paper towel (if your beef is lean enough, you won't really need to do this).
- Return beef to dutch oven; add macaroni and next 10 ingredients.
- stir well.
- Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon into individual serving bowls.
- Sprinkle 2 T cheese over each serving.