Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another chili mac recipe - this one is from Cooking Light's Best of 10 Years. It was an instant hit with everyone in my family.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can corn, drained (I used frozen)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- Cook first 4 ingredients in a dutch oven over medium high heat till meat is browned, stirring until meat crumbles.
- Drain well and wipe drippings from pan with a paper towel (if your beef is lean enough, you won't really need to do this).
- Return beef to dutch oven; add macaroni and next 10 ingredients.
- stir well.
- Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon into individual serving bowls.
- Sprinkle 2 T cheese over each serving.
I was so glad to see this posted here! I believe this recipe was originally published in Cooking Light in an article on healthier school cafeteria food, which grabbed ny attention since if it's kid-friendly, it's probably DH friendly. Quick and easy, and a favorite with us. Add some cornbread and a green salad and dinner is done! The original recipe called for no-salt added tomatoes, corn, tomato paste, tomato sauce, as well as ground round and reduced-fat sharp cheddar. With those changes, this dish is even healthier than shown on the nutrition facts to the left: 7.2 g fat and 420 mg sodium. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!
Very good dish! Be sure the macaroni is cooked al dente, or they will come out too soft in the end. I used some of the pasta water for the water called for, doubled the chili powder, and used Rotel for the canned tomatoes. This is one I'll be making again. Thank you for sharing!
This was absolutely delicious! I used cannellini beans, and stirred the grated cheese into the whole mixture right before serving. Easy to make, ingredients on hand; add a salad, and dinner is ready in a jiffy. Thanks, pattikay!