Recipe by Sydney Mike
The original of this somewhat spicy mac-&-cheese -- now slightly tweaked -- was found in the 2006 cookbook, Taste of Home Everyday Light Meals.
Top Review by RachelB-KY
This was really good. I didn't use elbow macaroni I used rotelle instead and more than 1 cup. I also only used a 14.5oz can of tomatoes, used chili beans and no tomato paste or chilies. I think it needed a little more salt and a lot more cheese. But, I also love salt and cheese.
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook beef, onion & garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, then drain.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F & coat a 13"x9" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, chilies & seasonings to beef mixture & stir to combine.
- Drain macaroni, then add it to the beef mixture, stirring to combine.
- Pour beef & macaroni mixture into the prepared baking dish, then cover & bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Uncover & sprinkle with the shredded cheese, then return to oven & bake another 5-8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.