Recipe by Cream Puff
I created this recipe when I wanted to use up some leftover home-made chili. Great comfort food you can make as spicy as you like!
Top Tweak by Jenniegal
Total comfort food. Great recipe. I had some left over crushed tomatoes and used it in place of the ketchup. I made this a second time using ground turkey and instead of the 1/2 cup of ketchup I used 1 cup of tomato sauce which I made from a can of tomato paste and added water. Turned out just as delicious as the first time.
- 946.36-1182.95 ml chili (home-made or canned)
- 226.79 g elbow macaroni
- 118.29 ml ketchup
- 226.79 g monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 226.79 g cheddar cheese, shredded
- jalapeno pepper, sliced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium saucepan, simmer chili until heated through.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain well and set aside.
- Grease a deep 8-quart or similar casserole dish.
- Spoon 1 cup of chili evenly on bottom of dish. Next, layer half of the macaroni, drizzle half of the ketchup (approx. 1/4 cup), half of the remaining chili and half of the cheeses. Repeat layering with remaining macaroni, 1/4 cup ketchup, remainder of chili and remaining cheeses. Top with jalapeno slices, if desired.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until heated through and cheese is bubbly.
- *NOTE: I prefer my home-made chili in this recipe, but if I use canned chili, I like to add chopped green pepper, chopped onion, 4 oz. can green chilies, cayenne pepper or whatever I have on hand to "doctor" it up.