Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Sunset Magazine 1998
- 1 (1 lb) round or oval French bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup neufchatel cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mild california chili powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (1/2 lb) firm-ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- green tomatillo sauce
- Cut the top off the loaf leaving an edge 3/4-1 inch from crust rim. Pull out the center of the loaf. Tear the center bread into 1/2 inch bread chunks.
- Brush the interior of the loaf with enough butter to coat. Wrap the crust with foil.
- Bake at 350 until interior is lightly toasted, 7-9 minutes.
- Blend neufchatel cheese, eggs, 1/2 cup milk, flour, chili, and salt. Stir chilies into cheese mixture.
- Set hot crust on a baking sheet and pour filling into it.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup milk, stir with a fork, then push enough 1/2 inch chunks of bread into the filling to bring it up to the crust rim.
- Return loaf to the oven. Bake until center is firmly set when loaf is gently shaken, 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Let cool at least 15 minutes. Remove foil.
- Peel and thenly slice or dice avocado, mix with lime juice, and arrange on the chili loaf.
- Cut loaf and serve with tomatillo sauce and salt to taste.