Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I created this when I was single and living on my own. I wanted something just a little different than ordinary lasagna. It makes a fairly large pan of lasagna, so I also discovered that it's great for freezing individual servings.
- 12 -16 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs ground beef (or mixture) or 2 1⁄2-3 lbs ground turkey (or mixture)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomato, drained of most but not all liquid
- 1 large vidalia onion, chopped (white or yellow are also good)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or 2 crushed red pepper flakes (but not both unless you want REALLY hot chili)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese
- Brown the meat with the onion in a large skillet over medium heat, draining excess fat if necessary.
- Then combine all ingredients except lasagne noodles and cheese in a large stockpot, stir occasionally, and allow to heat thoroughly, at least 1/2 hr.
- Coat a large casserole dish or baking pan with cooking spray.
- Start with a thin layer of chili on the bottom, then some ricotta, then a layer of 3 noodles.
- Keep layering in this order until you run out of chili, noodles, or room in the pan, but make sure the top layer is chili.
- Top with a layer of shredded cheese and bake at 375 deg for approx 45 mins or until cheese is melted and bubbling.