Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Here is the recipe I use where I work, the kids love it. Even though I make 16 liters it is all gone. I also use it for Chili Dogs and Indian Tacos. I have also made this at home using my roaster oven. I froze the extras in foil pans. Finally got around to measuring my spices so you know about how much to put in.
- 5 lbs ground beef
- 8 sweet bell peppers, various colors, diced
- 8 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 onions, diced
- 2 (100 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 2 (100 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (100 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup minced garlic, I use jarred
- 1 cup beef bouillon powder (to taste)
- 2 cups chili powder (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- Cook hamburger with peppers, celery and onions. Once hamburger is cooked put into colander and rinse off with hot water to remove fat.
- Put meat mixture into the pot again, add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until vegetables are soft.
- Note: If you want you can add 4 bay leaves also. Can use a mixture of beans also.
- Freezes beautifully.
So when I was looking at this recipe, I knew a few things before making it, just based on who posted it. I knew that it would be tasty, that it would be economical, and that if tasb says it freezes beautifully, I can take that to the bank. :) So I felt NO qualms about making a half batch for my family of 6. I made a few adjustments, due to not being able to find 100 oz cans. Mine were all in the 28 oz range. So I used 3 cans of tomato sauce, 2 cans of diced tomatoes, and 2 cans of beans. I shorted the beans a little because, being from Texas, beans in chili sounds weird, but I knew it would stretch and fill this meal. I loved all the fresh veggies added to this, and it tasted DELICIOUS! Only one problem - I got the diced tomatoes with chilies (Rotel), and it made it too spicy for the kids to eat. DOH! So I have 4 kid-free meals worth in the freezer, and I know what NOT to do next time. Thank you so much for posting this, tasb, it is SO going in my permanent rotation file!