Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I had a recipe for Chili in my Star Wars cookbook (Crazy Cantina Chili) that looked good, but had no meat! I used it as an inspiration for the recipe below.
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb sirloin, cut into cubes
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄4 green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 chili pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package chili seasoning mix (I used Ortega)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes with juice, crushed
- salt and pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Cook and drain the meat (ground meat and sirloin all in one pan).
- Add the package of chili seasoning and half of the tomatoes. Mix well and let simmer.
- In a separate sauce pan, heat the oil, then add the onion, bell pepper and the chili pepper. Cook until tender (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add the chili powder and cayenne pepper and stir. Then add the remaining tomato and stir again.
- Add the meat mixture and the black beans. Stir, heat through and keep on low heat until ready to serve.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with white rice or chips (our favorite chips are the "Food Should Taste Good " Multigrain chips!) and top with shredded cheddar and/or sour cream if you like!