Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This from White on Rice Couple - it has the proper ingredients to provide heat (Rooster Sriracha uses red jalapenos), tang, sweet & umami. The original poster suggests using within a week - I betcha it will last a great deal longer with proper refrigeration in a nice glass jar. She also suggests starting with 1/2 the chili peppers - I suggest switching to red jalapenos if the fire of red Thai peppers may be a bit much for you. Anyway, thank you so very much Diane - we will be making this once our jalapenos (M & Grande) ripen later this summer. Tip - Three Crabs fish sauce is nice. www.whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/sriracha-chili-garlic-hot-sauce-recipe/ www.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/dining/20united.html?partner=rss&emc=rss
- 1 cup chili pepper, thai red (about 100 grams)
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, crushed (minced fine too)
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 15 ounces tomato sauce, canned
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Remove stems of chili peppers, rinse clean. Blot dry with paper towel. Wearing rubber gloves, mince the chili peppers. The smaller the cut, the smoother your final sauce will be.
- In sauce pan, heat oil then add minced garlic and shallots. Over medium-high heat saute for a about 1 minute or until light brown and fragrant. (don’t burn your garlic!).
- Add tomato sauce and minced chili peppers. Let sauce come to a simmer then lower heat to keep at a low simmer. Add fish sauce, vinegar, and sugar. Mix well.
- Continue simmering sauce for about 5 minutes. This will break down the chili peppers and soften them to create the smooth consistency.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Transfer sauce to blender and blend till smooth or until most of the chili pepper skin and seeds break down- preferably on the “liquefy” mode.
- Taste the hot sauce. Further customize the hot sauce to your liking: add more sugar, vinegar or water. Blend one last time till smooth. Pour into clean, air tight jar and refrigerate. Use within about 1 week.