Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Can use any firm white fish for this if you want.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 4 (6 ounce) halibut steaks (3/4 to 1 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
For the salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 2⁄3 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- In small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, 1 teaspoon brown sugar and ground red pepper; mix well.
- Place halibut on large plate. Brush both sides of fish with lime juice; sprinkle both sides with chili powder mixture. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat grill. In medium bowl, combine all salsa ingredients; mix well. Set aside.
- When ready to grill, carefully oil grill rack. Place fish on gas grill over medium heat or on charcoal grill 4 to 6 inches from medium coals; cover grill. Cook 10 to 14 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork, turning once.
- Serve bean salsa with fish. If desired, garnish with chopped fresh cilantro.
- Note: If you would rather broil the fish instead of grill it - place on broiler pan; broil 4 to 6 inches from heat using times above as a guide, turning once.