This is a recipe of one of my friends. It was modified from a recipe with Kai-lan (Chinese broccoli) that her mom made back at home in China. She used Western broccoli because Kai-lan was usually pretty expensive where we were living. The measurements are estimates as she would do it by the look of it.
- 500 g broccoli (about one large head, chopped into bite sized florets, chop off the biggest ends)
- 1 long red chili pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove (finely minced or pressed)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce (important because it is sweeter, which you need with the less sweet Western broccoli, if you don't h)
- Boil water for steamer.
- Put broccoli in steamer for 4 minutes until slightly soften.
- Heat oil in pan on medium heat and fry chili and garlic for a minute.
- Turn up heat to high, add broccoli and stir occasionally for a minute.
- Add soy sauce, stir, cover and cook for a minute.