This quick and easy chili was a staple for the costume shop I worked in this summer. Simple and cheap to prepare, this high protein, low fat meal it is great for hungry, busy and broke people like us; college students and starving artists. The recipe is based on Vega "Pantry" Chili but with my own twists and additions.
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can corn
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 small dried red peppers or 2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes
- 1 -3 dash hot sauce (optional)
- 2 cups tomato juice
- In a frying pan, heat oil and brown turkey (B, C, and M at work don't eat beef) Italian sausage seasoned with paprika.
- Put cooked turkey sausage in at least a 4 qt crock pot.
- Drain and rinse black beans, pinto beans and corn. Place in crock pot with the turkey sausage.
- Add chili beans and diced tomatoes, juices and all.
- Add tomato juice if desired. Add water until the pot is full (this really helps stretch the meal).
- Add spices and stir until everything is mixed well.
- Cook in crock pot for 5 hours on high. If you're in a hurry, bring ingredients to a boil on the stove top then reduce the heat and simmer for at least 20 minute.
- Serve with chips, cheese, guacamole, sour cream, chives, as desired.