Prep 24 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
I love chili, but have never had much luck making it myself. After a lot of trial and error this is the finished product. My husband hates onions, so it was always hard to try and get the right flavor without them. Then it came to me, puree them and he'll never know they are there!!! The other thing that made this chili work was the use of Chef #487825 's recipe for My Special Chili Powder .
- 1 cup dried kidney beans
- 1 cup dry pinto beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 lb ground beef (or other ground meat)
- 1⁄2 onion, pureed
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder, My Special Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, crushed (or to taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons spicy salsa (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Soak beans overnight (up to 24 hrs). Drain and rinse.
- Cook soaked beans in 12 cups water, with pureed onion, 2 whole garlic cloves peeled, and 1 tbsp chili powder for 2 hours, until beans are tender. Add more water to keep beans covered if needed.
- Drain beans and reserve liquid.
- Brown ground beef until no longer pink, drain.
- Mix tomatoes, tomato sauce, and paste together in crock pot.
- Add spices, salt, pepper, garlic, salsa, ketchup and mix well.
- Add beans, celery, mushrooms and beef.
- cook on high for 2 or more hours, add some of the reserved liquid from cooking the beans if it gets too thick (I use about 1/2 the liquid).
- The spice amounts are just a guide line, add as much or as little as you like to suit your tastes.