Recipe by CaramelPie
This is Marty Hugo's Chili, tweaked to the way my husband, Robert, likes it. Thus, it became a new recipe. Thanks for the original, Marty!
Top Review by Princess Tomato
I LOVED this recipe. First of all, I halved it, because this makes way too much for just the two of us. The portions are pretty decent sized - given that there are only 404 calories in each serving, I was expecting a tablespoon or two. :) I made a few small modifications. When I browned the beef, I salted and peppered it, and I also put onion flakes in with it. Just a personal preference - I love to brown ground beef with the onions in there. Also, I added some crushed red pepper flakes to the pot (not a WHOLE lot, but we like hot and spicy, so I threw some in) and I added some garlic powder. This recipe really was delicious, and I REALLY enjoyed it. My only complaint - it cooks for TWO HOURS, so I have to sit there with my mouth watering for that long. :) Torture!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup dried onion flakes
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 27 ounces chili beans
- 14 ounces chili beans
- 27 ounces water, approximately
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef and drain well.
- Place all ingredients into a 6 quart pot. (As you open the cans, rinse slightly with water. Add the water to the pot until you've added about 27 oz. - about the chili bean can full.).
- Bring ingredients to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Lower heat to a simmer, and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.