Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
An alternative to the regular burger.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- In a small pot, combine the ketchup, water, and spices and bring to a simmer. Let cook for about ten minutes at a fast simmer. The sauce should reduce by half. Remove the sauce from the stove and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef and sauce with the onion and mix well. If your mixture seems too soupy, keep mixing it. It will incorporate into the meat.
- Form the meat into four equal patties and grill as desired.
- Dress your burgers with cheese and enjoy.
This was quite different from the norm. I adore chili, and this hit the spot tonite. It seems like a bit too much chili powder when you read the ingredients, but it isn't. I used yellow onions, and that was fine. The burgers had lots of juice in the pan, and had I not been using a bun (and I won't the next time), I'd have melted cheese on top, and then poured that juice from the pan over the top of it. Very nice burger, Kath.